Having abundant energy throughout the day?
Being able to enjoy a meal with friends, worry free?
Having a clear mind and great memory?
Feeling emotionally balanced?
Being healthy enough to do all the things you love?
“Every patient carries her or his own doctor inside.” – Albert Schweitzer
Barbara Solomon MS CNS CFMP
Board Certified Nutrition Specialist
Certified Functional Medicine Practitioner
Are your lab tests normal, yet you know that something is wrong? Have you been told not to worry about it, or that it is just a normal part of aging or worse, that it is all in your head? At Functional Health, we take a different approach to health. Just like a car’s check engine light, our bodies are equipped with an incredible warning system. Chronic conditions just don’t occur overnight, but start with subtle changes in physiology. My goal is to find and address your specific physiological, biochemical, and genetic issues. By evaluating your laboratory results with emphasis on health and dysfunction rather than disease, we have a better opportunity of determining root cause so you can achieve your health goals.
- We offer Functional Blood Chemistry, genetic, food sensitivity, and advanced Functional Medicine testing to help find root cause of your health issues.
- Our practice is based on the latest scientific advances in Functional Medicine, Clinical Nutrition, Nutrigenomics, and Evidenced Based Nutrition.
- Our protocol is designed to meet your specific needs. For example, for most people, diet changes are required. Other times, supplements might be necessary. For others, exercise is the key. We just don’t subscribe to a `one size fits all` solution.
- We understand how overwhelming healthcare options can be and offer education and support to help you make appropriate choices for your lifestyle.
- I believe that Barbara is the wisest, most passionate and intuitive functional medicine practitioner out there. I came to Barbara with a broken gut and some autoimmune issues that needed some more work. Through some testing and interpretation of genetic information, Barbara got me started on the right path to heal my broken gut, thus making a huge improvement in my autoimmunity. She takes her time and thoroughly goes over everything as to the how’s and why’s of what we are doing, and I began a limited diet and some supplements and began to feel better almost immediately. She showed me charts of why certain things were happening in my body and my brain, and what we could do to heal them. I have worked with other practitioners in the past who have either not been very communicative or just plain not very knowledgeable, and Barbara blows them out of the water with her knowledge of how to feel our best as humans. She always gets right back to me, which is truly amazing and so very appreciated…as sometimes while I was healing, I would get anxious or have questions about whether or not I was doing something right. Barbara is a rocket scientist for the healing and wellness of our bodies, her focus is on true and lasting wellness, and after so many years of being brushed aside by practitioners who did not have my best interests at heart, she is truly a breath of fresh air and I am grateful for her every day. Now, after six months, I continue to eat for optimal health, have no sugar cravings (although those were gone after about the first week) I am sleeping very well, and have lasting energy during the day. We reversed my old, positive ANA titer which had previously indicated inflammation in my body or potentially another autoimmune process that was happening, my adrenals are healing wonderfully and the numbers look fantastic on my blood work, and everything is coming together. I look forward to continuing the important work of optimizing my health and working with Barbara!ES
- "Sometimes the cure is worse than the sickness", so my gastroenterologist told me in February 2015. I saw him after two rounds of antibiotics to treat h-pylori had failed and had also brought on c-diff. It all started in September 2014 with a small pain on my side. My primary care doc ordered many tests and finally a stool test found h-pylori. The antibiotic treatment for it was horrendous. I ended up with really bad acid reflux that felt like I had swallowed gasoline. I knew something was seriously wrong. After numerous ER visits they finally found the c-diff and with different antibiotics it cleared up. I still felt horrible though and had flu like aches and pains for weeks. I went to two different functional medicine doctors but found that they really weren't familiar with h-pylori and what they recommended didn't with the pain, weakness, and acid reflux. In March of 2015, I finally found Barbara after doing a search for functional medicine practitioners who experience with h-pylori. She reviewed all my lab reports and blood work and found that my body just wasn't absorbing the minerals from my diet. She put me on a strict diet and supplements regimen. It was difficult and it didn't happen overnight but about 30 days later I had more energy and appetite. The pain and acid reflux had subsided significantly. I was tested again in May 2015 and the results were negative, yup negative for both h-pylori and c-diff. I'm still not 100% but feel so much better. When I saw the gastroenterologist in May he was surprised and asked what I had done. I told him about the diet and supplements Barbara had me take. He said, "well whatever you did, it worked." Thank you Barbara, you gave me my life back!SC
- In the 5 short weeks you have worked with me, I have noticed several significant changes. I am sleeping better, my digestive system is working much better, I have more energy and I have lost 9 lbs. I am looking forward to taking my health to the next level. Thanks for your help.JO
- This past August while studying abroad in Paris, France my health took a turn for the worse. I was 24 years old, extremely active and constantly challenging my mind as well as my body, yet, doctors were telling me I'd be on heartburn medication for the rest of my life. Until I met Barbara, it's what I truly began to believe. However, within weeks of my first consultation I was seeing the symptoms of my illness simply vanish. After sitting down and looking over my blood work, in combination with supplements and minor diet modifications, I am now feeling like the old (young) me. I believe wholeheartedly in Barbara's methods and my health is a testament to her theory and expertise. These days I enjoy walking my dog, camping and surfing while confidently living a healthy lifestyle thanks to Functional Health!JM
- If you are ready to take control of your health you must see Barbara Solomon. Her knowledge and understanding of the human body is amazing. With her help we were able to figure out what was making me sick. She also had an action plan on how to heal my body. With in days I felt so much better. I no longer have digestive problems or joint pain. I sleep through the night and have so much more energy through out the day. I also got rid of the brain fog! Thank you so much Barbara.VG
- I have so enjoyed working with Barbara, she has gotten me out of the medical world of "you have to be on thyroid medication for the rest of your life" and into many other areas that effect hypothyroidism. After learning so many things, which she generously shares with you, I am now living the good life down in Costa Rica and not having to worry about taking "meds" for the rest of my life. I do take a minimum of supplements. I so enjoy working with Barbara because she is so passionate about what she does and does a lot of research. She is continually learning the newest developments in science and health. She spends time with you making sure understand and have the right supplements to help you improve. I found working with her one of the best investments I made in healing my health at 70. I would highly recommend her to anyone who is tired of going to many doctors and getting treated poorly without any improved results AND who wants to be more responsible for their own health.SB
- I first saw Barbara Solomon about a month ago. I was dealing with an issue that left me very fatigued and weak. My hair was falling out and I had indigestion, a lingering depression with chronic insomnia. Barbara Solomon’s approach was to first identify through extensive blood panels, what was going on. I saw her again as we discussed the results and she explained (in terms that were neither condescending or too obscure in medical terms) the issues I was facing and the protocol for getting my health back in order. It has been 30 days and I feel like a new person. I know I have work to do to maintain this but with the diet recommendations and supplements Barbara recommended, my life has changed. I went on a long canyon hike today and I could not do this a month ago. I highly recommend Barbara to anyone who knows that there are answers out there but finding the right person to help is the challenge. Thank you Barbara for your intelligent approach and your sensitivity and availability in my time of need.BG
- Thank you for the time and effort you have given to my health. I trust your intelligence and rationale behind your decisions. You made it easy for me to understand and implement nutritional changes. I have tried a variety of health support systems, but I feel confident in what you have suggested. Thanks again, I am telling everyone in need that you are the best!JB
- When I was visiting in San Diego I met Barbara Solomon. I was impressed by her knowledge and obvious desire to help others reach optimum health. Since I live on the East Coast I was disappointed that I would not be able to use her services. However, a month later when I had a health challenge and was reminded of meeting Barbara I called and arranged for a phone consult. This was last March and I have been working with her consistently since then. My health has significantly improved and I feel much of that improvement is directly related to Barbara’s assistance. She always asks pertinent questions, follows a logical path of investigation and suggests efficacious interventions based on the information she receives. I have appreciated her offering various options to me that took into account my financial status, too. I feel she definitely has provided her services to me in a very individualized manner and am grateful this could all be accomplished “coast to coast”.NEN
- I first met Barbara at Jimbo’s Naturally; she was the guest speaker of the night. I was immediately drawn to her because she was completely engrossed in answering everyone’s questions and was happy to oblige us long before her seminar ever started. I was fascinated by her knowledge and I knew that this was someone that could help me. I am in the throws of menopause, unable to sleep, I have gained weight, I am very emotional and subjected to high highs, and very low lows, along with other long term health issues I have been dealing with. I have worked with many others before Barbara, trying to manage my health issues from being on bio-identical hormones to working with a colon therapist and although I was helped through these avenues it only scratched the surface of what I was going through…And that was where the help remained, on the surface. Barbara started by unpeeling the onion so to speak, she started slow but remained steady, and continuously reminded me along the way that we were partners in my health; it was a relationship towards better health for me and I really liked that as who knows your body and it’s issues better that you. There have been some trial and error issues along the way, but we are making huge progress in my health. I sleep at night, it is not ideal YET, but well on it’s way, my weight has decreased and continues to do so weekly, my moods are totally regulated and as Barbara would say, “I will feel as though I am being wrapped in a warm blanket” and at first I didn’t get what she meant by that, but now I do and that is exactly how I feel, warm and fuzzy all over, all the time. I have some other very technical health issues that I don’t completely understand but I know that Barbara does, I trust her and know that as partners we are on the right track. If there is an issue with the suggested protocol by Barbara all I have to do is send her an email and she gets back to me right away but if she feels a phone conversation is in order she makes time in her busy day to call me, which is greatly appreciated, most don’t or won’t do that. I am thankful that I met Barbara as I have seen such progress in a short period of time and I know it will only continue to get better from here, I am grateful for her knowledge and my partnering relationship in my health with her. Thank you Barbara for all you have done for me thus far and the healthy future I am looking forward to.MZ
- Since beginning work with Barbara Solomon I feel I have improved tremendously in the way my body is functioning and feeling. I have been on a healing & wellness journey for a long time and have been learning how to piece together the puzzle of health and well-being from my own study/inquiry along with the help of several excellent holistic practitioners. When I met Barbara I was feeling pretty well… still I had some lingering concerns that didn’t seem to be resolving. Barbara’s blend of knowledge and intuition led me to acquiring some testing I had not received in the past. Through these tests she uncovered the reasons for some long standing issues around blood sugar, cholesterol, hormonal imbalances and digestion to name a few. Her report of findings and time spent in getting to root causes is impressive and comprehensive. With Barbara’s diet recommendations and supplement protocol I began feeling a shift almost immediately (within the first few days). I am looking forward to following up and as of right now I finally feel relieved to be on the right path. For what seems to be a long time coming I am, not overly concerned about health issues and, truly feeling well.JM
- I am so glad that I have found compassionate and knowledgeable help to guide me back to the path of healthier living and feeling better!CR