Having abundant energy throughout the day?
Being able to enjoy a meal with friends, worry free?
Having a clear mind and great memory?
Feeling emotionally balanced?
Being healthy enough to do all the things you love?
“Every patient carries her or his own doctor inside.” – Albert Schweitzer
Barbara Solomon MS CNS CFMP
Board Certified Nutrition Specialist
Certified Functional Medicine Practitioner
Are your lab tests normal, yet you know that something is wrong? Have you been told not to worry about it, or that it is just a normal part of aging or worse, that it is all in your head? At Functional Health, we take a different approach to health. Chronic conditions don’t occur overnight, but start with subtle changes in physiology. And just like a car’s check engine light, our bodies are equipped with an incredible warning system. My goal is to find and address your specific physiological, biochemical, and genetic issues. By evaluating your laboratory results with emphasis on health and dysfunction rather than disease, we have a better opportunity of determining root cause so you can achieve your health goals.
- We offer Functional Blood Chemistry, genetic, food sensitivity, and advanced Functional Medicine testing to help find root cause of your health issues.
- Our practice is based on the latest scientific advances in Functional Medicine, Clinical Nutrition, Genetics/Nutrigenomics, and Evidenced Based Nutrition.
- Our protocol is designed to meet your specific needs. For example, for most people, diet changes are required. Other times, supplements might be necessary. For others, exercise is the key. We just don’t subscribe to an `one size fits all` solution.
- We understand how overwhelming healthcare options can be and offer education and support to help you make appropriate choices for your lifestyle.
- You cannot imagine how wonderful it is to go to sleep naturally and to have a full nights's sleep. It hasn't been this good for many years, and especially the last seven months when I wasn't sleeping at all. There aren't words to express how delicious it is. Thank you, thank you, thank you.FS
- I became a client of Functional Health after experiencing years of emotional disturbances which were increasingly manifesting in physical symptoms including constant fatigue and intermittent but ongoing pain. Upon meeting Barbara at a local natural foods store, I explained my state to her and described having been to multiple doctors without any substantial relief. While still in the store, Barbara asked me a few questions and immediately began narrowing down the causes of the issues causing my symptoms to specific dietary and other habits I had at the time. During subsequent appointments, I have made multiple observations. First, the bloodwork that is ordered by Barbara is more comprehensive than those ordered by other types of practitioners. It is also evaluated in greater detail than I have seen by anyone else. Barbara explains the implications of the results of the bloodwork to the extent that is necessary for a client to understand the current state of their system and begin developing the self-awareness that is necessary to adapt to potentially significant dietary changes. Secondly, Barbara makes an effort to collect as much symptom information as possible about the whole body, as opposed to just the areas which display obvious symptoms. This evaluation, along with the other testing that is performed, allows her to establish a baseline with which to pinpoint a broad spectrum of existing problems. The evaluation initiates a process to get to the root causes of those problems, recommend the appropriate foods and supplements, and track progress. The process continues with a regular and rigorous removal of inappropriate foods, beverages, and even items like vitamins from my diet. Among the numerous things I have learned from Barbara, I now know that it is only constructive to take a vitamin, mineral, or other supplement if it is the exact right form, quality, and dosage for me at any given time. Barbara uses an intricate knowledge of human physiology to make those determinations, and educates me on how to make informed decisions about what I consume. This spares me any unanticipated side-effects from consuming substances which are not right for me at the time. Additionally, there is the added benefit of avoiding unnecessary spending from choosing supplements by trial and error. With the perspective that all of the body's systems are dynamic and simultaneously affect one another, Barbara reevaluates the nutritional protocol and updates it as often as necessary. This approach is in sharp contrast to other health-related providers for whom I have been a client in the past, who made prescriptions or recommendations, but did not monitor the results as closely or as consistently as needed for lasting improvement. Barbara also has a practice of keeping up to date with research and systematically incorporates new information to fine-tune the recommendations for me each time I am reevaluated. After several iterations of Functional Health, I much better understand what and how I should be eating, drinking, and generally maintaining myself. With Barbara's help, the discipline to follow her guidance, and the development of a lifestyle with habits complimentary to elevated nutrition, I feel better. I am pleased that I now envision a path to getting all of the symptoms I complained about a few years ago under control for good. Becoming a client of Functional Health has been the single most empowering wellness choice I have made for myself to date.MT
- I have had the privilege of working with Barbara for four months now. I am pleased to say I am feeling much better now than when I first contacted her. Barbara very meticulously analyzed my genetic testing and various labs, made recommendations for changes in supplementation, and provided diets to heal specific issues. I so appreciate her attention to detail. As changes occurred she helped me change diet or supplements to address new issues. Barbara is very accessible. I have used both Skype and e-mail with her and found this to be convenient for both of us. I recommend Barbara wholeheartedly for anyone wanting to improve their health through nutrition and supplementation.BW
- All advice is excellent & working as advertised........you ARE amazing!CR
My name is L and I have been working with Barbara for 2 months now. Let me begin by saying I have always considered myself a "healthy" individual- never overweight, always very active, with no real health obstacles. I was able to birth 3 healthy children with no issue. Yet over the years I have noticed from time to time I have just been "off". Anytime we traveled, or I was in social situations, my body would begin to ramp up and shut down. I would get migraines, anxiety over anything and everything, and often I could barely make it through the day. I would always feel the need to lay in bed...and chalked it up to having 3 kids. There have been periods in the last 20 years or so that, for no apparent reason, I wouldn't be able to get out of bed. It felt as though there was no blood running through my body, I was extremely fatigued, dizzy, anxious, and unable to take care of myself, let alone my family. I'd often go to the doctor or emergency room only to find out all my bloodwork was "normal". I've had an MRI, extensive testing with ENT specialists, and worked with neurologists. All that came up clear, so I was just told it was likely vertigo and was sent on my way, hopeless, and coming to terms that this is my life. Just getting by.
After my most recent flare up, I revisited the doctor for more tests, certain she was going to find something this time. Routine bloodwork came back "normal" again- and once again I was sent on my way. I couldn't get out of bed. I couldn't make sense of any of it. I ate healthy, balanced, and organic. I drank plenty of water, yet never felt energized. My general practitioner agreed to do more extensive tests, take a shot in the dark to see if I had a MTHFR genetic mutation she is finding more and more, and sure enough I did. She didn't have much to offer as far as how to get on with my life- just that I needed to add a certain supplement. I was rushed out of that appointment because I had too many questions and she didn't have the time for me.
So I was left to search the web for anyone with experience or expertise with this condition. That was both frightening and overwhelming. In a way I felt my life was never going to get better, and I physically felt like I wasn't really going to be able to get through. In desperation, I finally found a short list of people in Southern California that have had any sort of education on the topic...and that is what has led me to Barbara Solomon. Finally a glimmer of hope.
I remember it was on a weekend I contacted Barbara by email. I was in bad shape. My mom had to come pick up my 3 kids and myself, as my husband was at work, and I couldn't manage to make it through the day. I had no appetite, no energy, and plenty of anxiety. I heard back that same weekend. Finally I had a direction. Still not knowing if I was going to get anywhere, I signed on. If anything, I would get a little more input and hopefully a plan.
Did I ever! It is truly amazing to work with someone who understands the ins and outs of the working human body. I felt, for once in my life, someone truly understands who I am as a person, physically and emotionally, and can get me on a path of not only surviving, but thriving. All it took was for Barbara to go through my lab work from over the years with a fine tooth comb to realize I intact have been battling a couple nagging issues and I had no idea. My life would have gone on, I would have stayed on that roller coaster and just tried to make it through life. At the point where I was at, I would have settled for a "Honda" type body, and I feel like at the end of this I am going to end up with a Bentley. It has been 2 months of elimination dieting and supplementation and I can honestly say that I feel better than I have EVER felt in my adult life, and I didn't even have to leave my house! We have had 2 very informative meetings over Skype...very convenient, especially when you don't feel like you can muster up the strength to even get dressed.
Barbara makes it very clear that this journey is ours together. How nice is that. I am not just another file in the drawer or a patient being seen for a 20 min window twice a year.
I now have energy, a calm mind, and perspective on what it is we are all putting in our bodies and the effects they may have. I have hope. I have stamina. And I have a uninhibited future I am excited about. My kids have their mother back, and my husband his wife. Barbara has been the best money I have ever spent on myself. I would, without a doubt, recommend her to ANYONE, and I pretty much do. I have been singing her praises to everyone I talk to, because we all have our "things", whether they be little or large, that we all just assume is a part of us. Doesn't have to be that way. I have labeled myself many negative things throughout my whole life; socially anxious, depressed, exhausted and overwhelmed, and fragile. I no longer identify with any of those things. I seriously feel free. And all it took was a thoughtful, extremely intelligent and intuitive mind like Barbara to get me my life back.
I am free!
Thank you, Barbara!!! You are priceless.LW
- You have no idea how valuable it is to have you introduced into my girlfriend's life; this has been a mighty struggle since long before I met her-- not to mention it has increased in its might over the course of the years we have been together. It is nothing short of inspiring to hear her speak of how good she feels, and to see it as well. I cannot thank you enough.DC
Barbara Solomon...my list of gratitude to her and praise is infinite. Being only 20, at the time a few months ago, I was exhausted, cranky, under the control of gluten and sugar, and a slave of a numerous list of food sensitivities that would punish me through eczema. I had reached the point of frustration, unhappiness, and utter disappointment. Nothing I had done was working, from Naturopaths to even altering my already organic diet. I was at a point of defeat.
Being raised and growing up in a holistic and organic environment all I could think of was "Why me, I take care of my body." But then came Barbara, my light at the end of the tunnel, who gave me hope and also showed me the solutions to the health issues I had thought to be not only unsolvable but also inexplainable for the past eight years. Here I am five months later free of my food sensitivities, energized, glowing, and healthy! To the best and most passionate practitioner I have met, I thank her for helping me get my life back as well as rekindling the relationship between me and my body.Her impeccable wit, rockin' personality and reliability combine to make the path back to health understandable, exciting, and most importantly achievable! Forever honored and grateful!CM
- After surviving breast cancer, I reached out to Barbara at my friend’s suggestion. I began working with her two years ago, and through her guidance and expertise, I learned how to eat so that I maintained my blood sugar levels. Now I feel more energized throughout the day and sleep much better. I also took her suggestions and made changes to my diet and started taking supplements and as a result, I rarely have to take allergy medication anymore and have repaired my leaky gut. And I have been cancer free for four years now. Recently, Barbara has guided me while I have been undergoing the various stages of breast reconstructive surgery. She has created a post-surgery protocol to help prevent infection. I had my first phase of surgery in June and recovered rather quickly and had no infection. Barbara has also helped me as I’ve struggled with depression. I have been able to get through this difficult time in my life without taking anti-depressants and have relied on diet and supplements instead. I highly recommend Barbara if you want to take a natural way to improving your health. She is so knowledgeable and encouraging and such a wonderful person to work with.JN
- I believe that Barbara is the wisest, most passionate and intuitive functional medicine practitioner out there. I came to Barbara with a broken gut and some autoimmune issues that needed some more work. Through some testing and interpretation of genetic information, Barbara got me started on the right path to heal my broken gut, thus making a huge improvement in my autoimmunity. She takes her time and thoroughly goes over everything as to the how’s and why’s of what we are doing, and I began a limited diet and some supplements and began to feel better almost immediately. She showed me charts of why certain things were happening in my body and my brain, and what we could do to heal them. I have worked with other practitioners in the past who have either not been very communicative or just plain not very knowledgeable, and Barbara blows them out of the water with her knowledge of how to feel our best as humans. She always gets right back to me, which is truly amazing and so very appreciated…as sometimes while I was healing, I would get anxious or have questions about whether or not I was doing something right. Barbara is a rocket scientist for the healing and wellness of our bodies, her focus is on true and lasting wellness, and after so many years of being brushed aside by practitioners who did not have my best interests at heart, she is truly a breath of fresh air and I am grateful for her every day. Now, after six months, I continue to eat for optimal health, have no sugar cravings (although those were gone after about the first week) I am sleeping very well, and have lasting energy during the day. We reversed my old, positive ANA titer which had previously indicated inflammation in my body or potentially another autoimmune process that was happening, my adrenals are healing wonderfully and the numbers look fantastic on my blood work, and everything is coming together. I look forward to continuing the important work of optimizing my health and working with Barbara!ES
- "Sometimes the cure is worse than the sickness", so my gastroenterologist told me in February 2015. I saw him after two rounds of antibiotics to treat h-pylori had failed and had also brought on c-diff. It all started in September 2014 with a small pain on my side. My primary care doc ordered many tests and finally a stool test found h-pylori. The antibiotic treatment for it was horrendous. I ended up with really bad acid reflux that felt like I had swallowed gasoline. I knew something was seriously wrong. After numerous ER visits they finally found the c-diff and with different antibiotics it cleared up. I still felt horrible though and had flu like aches and pains for weeks. I went to two different functional medicine doctors but found that they really weren't familiar with h-pylori and what they recommended didn't with the pain, weakness, and acid reflux. In March of 2015, I finally found Barbara after doing a search for functional medicine practitioners who experience with h-pylori. She reviewed all my lab reports and blood work and found that my body just wasn't absorbing the minerals from my diet. She put me on a strict diet and supplements regimen. It was difficult and it didn't happen overnight but about 30 days later I had more energy and appetite. The pain and acid reflux had subsided significantly. I was tested again in May 2015 and the results were negative, yup negative for both h-pylori and c-diff. I'm still not 100% but feel so much better. When I saw the gastroenterologist in May he was surprised and asked what I had done. I told him about the diet and supplements Barbara had me take. He said, "well whatever you did, it worked." Thank you Barbara, you gave me my life back!SC
- In the 5 short weeks you have worked with me, I have noticed several significant changes. I am sleeping better, my digestive system is working much better, I have more energy and I have lost 9 lbs. I am looking forward to taking my health to the next level. Thanks for your help.JO
- This past August while studying abroad in Paris, France my health took a turn for the worse. I was 24 years old, extremely active and constantly challenging my mind as well as my body, yet, doctors were telling me I'd be on heartburn medication for the rest of my life. Until I met Barbara, it's what I truly began to believe. However, within weeks of my first consultation I was seeing the symptoms of my illness simply vanish. After sitting down and looking over my blood work, in combination with supplements and minor diet modifications, I am now feeling like the old (young) me. I believe wholeheartedly in Barbara's methods and my health is a testament to her theory and expertise. These days I enjoy walking my dog, camping and surfing while confidently living a healthy lifestyle thanks to Functional Health!JM